2/08/2016

quirk quark

A strange communication quirk I've noticed.  When a person tries to clarify something which isn't apparent.  It usually is received with a sarcastic comment.  There are many variations of how this plays out.  I recently was asked to help a phone customer at work.  I located the item.  Back to the phone I took down the necessary information.  The caller said the person would be in the next day to pick up the item.  Okay so this is where the quirk begins.  The employee who answered the phone originally was male.  I took the call and only asked what item was being sought.  I didn't know who was calling.  Often times people call to hold an item for someone other than themselves, or have a different person pick up the item for them.  I got the customer name. I didn't know the relationship of the caller to the person picking up the item.  Since there are operating hours that different from store to store.  I mentioned the store hours for the store I work, for the day the customer would be arriving.  The caller said "Yeah I know, we all know!" Followed by a haughty laugh.  I thought I was extending a courtesy because customers have been sent by employees that didn't clarify our particular hours.  They arrived after the doors are locked.  Anyhow the quirk is subtle and to me it indicates a blind spot of awareness that is difficult to remain in a present state of mind when dealing with other people.  It's an interesting place to be put into and try to remain thorough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to read this blog, and post a comment.